....slowly, but surely.....

Friday, August 11, 2006

OUCH!

I'm not one for too much vanity. However, I am a proponent of this newfangled "healthy living". As part of our fairly extensive benefits package, my employer pays for a New York Sports Club membership for all full time employees. At first I thought it was a waist of money, now I feel incomplete if I haven't pumped some iron at least 3-4 nights a week. I didn't go tonight and I feel awful about it, even though I'm supposed to be recuperating from a minor injury to my leg.

I'm fully aware of the "man-titty" craze and I'm not bashfull about the mini-cleavage I've begun to sport since taking advantage of my sport club membership. Yet, I can't help think that some part of lifting a dumbell instead of building a hut or something like that is really vain and wastefull. Obviously, it's practically impossible to take up truly strenuous hobbies in a city like New York. While growing up in North Carolina there were all too many farms to work on and nearby undeveloped land to trek through. Here in the city, most of my "treks" land me at a shopping district or a watering hole that serves everything but water. I've become so into working out and gaining that beat-up, built-up feeling that I've actually injured myself. And for what?.... So a few more people will take notice of my useless mass on the train or at a dimly lit society event?....... YES!!

If there is one thing that I've learned in this city, it's that time is of the essence and it may even be necessary to make quick judgements about how a person lives their life in certain instances. I don't always have the time to break the ice with conversation and shared interests, common goals blah blah blah, sometimes a hot body and a clear and concise invitation says more about a persons desire, drive and understanding of "how things work" than an impromptu dissertation spilled out over a coffee date.

So, I'll continue work out at the gym and become even more mindful of my own version of "healthy living". I'll just be sure to put the same effort into exercising, improving and sprucing up my mind that goes into my body.

No comments: