....slowly, but surely.....

Friday, March 11, 2005

To Be or To Become .... Is that the Question?

Well Hello again, here is my issue for the day:

All of this came about this afternoon chillin in bed watching a new episode of South Park. I usually just flip channels aimlessly like a human scanner until something that makes me say eww or wow stops me. South Park usually elicits both responses. The episode that I witnessed was one where transgender, trans-racial and trans-species issues were addressed / mocked with the usual South Park social hyperbole. The characters battled with feelings of not looking like what they felt inside and what it meant to try and change their physicality to match their mentality as well as how far and how effective such a change could be.

Interesting huh? You should see the episode! Now my wheels got to turning when I applied this ridiculous animated farce to my ridiculous live-action life. The obvious questions are, am I fronting? am I currently living as a trans-regional American. Does wanting to be a New Yorker, living here and looking like one make me a New Yorker?

Ultimately, I believe that altering ones' persona, whether physically or through some form of training / education or action is a genuine way to become more like whatever you appreciate and admire. However, any transition or transformation can never be complete or all encompassing, due to the simple fact that the history, the origins of a being will always exist outside of that being; telling the tale, marking the existence of what now "is" as something that "was".

All of this from an episode of South Park........ someone needs to get laid!

On a lighter note, a friend of mine has finished up his grad exams this week and will be celebrating a much deserved break for his brain with myself and other people who will except any excuse to go traipsing around the semi-frozen tundra that is Manhattan......

Anyone who knows me will understand that this means a greatly exaggerated, but remarkably believable account of what transpires on this outing will follow soon thereafter.

Keep in touch

No comments: