....slowly, but surely.....

Friday, April 06, 2007

And Another Thing!

Is it just me, or do the women and men who are really making strides with their artwork in the music scene getting overlooked!

Tweet, Brandy, Yummy Bingham, Junior Boys etc.

Yesterday in the youth group that I co-facilitate, the group members were watching Beyonce's new video thing and I couldn't even stop myself. I went up to the tv, paused the DVD and gave a little lecture on media images, target audiences, and what it means to be gullable. Don't get me wrong, her work certainly warrants our accolades and merit; but ALL of it? No!

I know that I can't expect everyone to spend as much time and energy searching for artists and artwork that bring more to the table than your standard studio sirens, or label lobotomized lyricists. However, there has to be a better way to engage an audience than singing in the same old key of sex and excess!

No comments: