....slowly, but surely.....

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Net Nanny

Let's face it. The Internet has been babysitting 17 - 30 year old males for the past 15 or so years. Although there have been some people that have already pointed out the drawbacks to this rampant lack of interest or respect for the "real world", very few of these voices have sprung from 17 - 30 year old males. Until Now?

After having a fairly deep conversation at work about goals and personal time maintainence with a very smart friend, I realized that although I was making a very good point in the aforementioned dialogue, I wasn't making a point to live my own words. It's not that I spend too much time on the Internet, a great deal of the time I spend on the Net is for work and thusly totally justified. What bothers me is what I do when I'm left to my own devices on the world wide web. Productive I am not, as you can plainly read.

My point is that, although there are a great deal of positive things that people do with the internet, make money, make friends, make art, make etc., there really isn't a social movement to use the internet as a productive tool in peoples lives. Sure, people job hunt and exchange information, but are people getting trained to do jobs on the net? are people reaching out those in need on the net? Where does the fun stop and the building begin? Can any real community building be done on the web? Who knows. I'm just going to make sure that whenever I'm up here from now on, I'm either learning something from someone or teaching something to somebody.

(And this counts)

No comments: